Sorority Noise- “Everyday” (Buddy Holly cover)

artworks-000092034587-46f7yn-t500x500

This Buddy Holly cover may start out in a rather innocuous, sleepy way, but just past the one minute mark, something magical happens. The band sets forth a joyously noisy burst of energy and unleashes a killer guitar solo that sets the song on fire. It culminates in a rousing, full band chorus of drunkenly happy voices that should definitely bring at least the hint of a smile to your face.

Sorority Noise will include this cover on their upcoming split with Radiator Hospital, which comes out on Sept. 30 via Soft Speak Records. All proceeds from the split will go to V-Day, an organization that works to end violence against women. You can pre-order the split here and stream the Buddy Holly cover via Absolute Punk.

Sir Sly cover Arcade Fire’s “Afterlife”

Sir Sly have been on my radar since they covered Drake’s “Marvin’s Room” earlier this year. Since then, they’ve released an excellent single, the title track from their upcoming album “You Haunt Me” (out 9/16 and now streaming in full on their website). They recently put out a cover of Arcade Fire’s “Afterlife,” and I have to say I enjoy it more than the original. The darkly ambient, moody electronic backdrop, coupled with Landon Jacobs’ sultry, wide-ranging, emotive vocals create a well-orchestrated, uniquely imagined cover that will entice listeners to seek out more music from this up-and-coming indie/electro-pop band.

Coheed And Cambria Cover Jimmy Eat World’s “A Praise Chorus”

Coheed and Cambria did a live cover of “A Praise Chorus” from Jimmy Eat World’s 2001 album Bleed American, reinventing the song as a slower, acoustic ballad that still manages to pack a pretty powerful punch. Although this cover is closer in sound to the softer tracks on Bleed American, such as “Cautioners,” Claudio Sanchez’s signature vocals add an exciting dramatic flair and a heightened sense of vulnerability and yearning to the more chilled out, gently paced instrumentation.

Saves The Day and Say Anything cover each other

tumblr_inline_nbdy9aEg9S1qzxlbn

Saves The Day and Say Anything, who will embark on a tour in November to celebrate the respective 15th and 10th anniversaries of (arguably) their most popular albums, recorded two acoustic covers of each other’s songs. See the link below to stream Saves The Day covering “Belt” and Say Anything covering “You Vandal,” and also to view tour dates. The two bands will also be supported by Reggie and The Full Effect on tour.

http://savestheday.com/throughbeingcool2014

Light Years- “Hindsight” (acoustic) and “Aliens Exist” (Blink-182 cover)

Light Years frontman Pat Kennedy recorded a mini acoustic session for Zero Platoon, performing a cover of Blink-182’s “Aliens Exist” as well as “Hindsight,” my personal favorite song from their debut LP, I Won’t Hold This Against You. The video for “Hindsight” also features an interview with Pat that touches upon the band’s backstory, the challenges that go along with being a touring musician, and the important influence of his father and of other bands like Blink-182, Saves The Day, and The Get Up Kids on his career as a musician.

Light Years will release a new EP, Temporary, via Animal Style Records on September 9th that can be pre-ordered here.

Senses Fail- “AM:PM” (American Nightmare Cover)

Senses_Fail

I always get especially excited when I see new music from Senses Fail. They’ve been one of my all time favorite bands for years, and I came really close to naming this website after one of their songs (I of course decided to go with a Saves The Day song instead).

I’m not too familiar with American Nightmare’s music, but this cover of their song “AM:PM” showcases Buddy Nielsen and his band in top form. The passion, intensity, and grit in his vocals never ceases to amaze me.

The cover is part of “The Big Comp II,” a compilation put out by Big Footprints, 1Bluestring and Property of Zack, which you can download here for $5. 60% of the profits will be going to 1BlueString, a campaign that asks guitarists to replace 1 of their 6 strings with a blue string to symbolize the 1 in 6 men who have survived childhood sexual abuse. The the remaining 40% will be going to The Nature Conservancy for a second year in a row. (via Property of Zack)

Stream “Am:PM” here: